Are Silver Grillz Bad For Your Teeth?

Silver Grillz vs White Gold Grillz

To answer your question, yes silver grillz are bad for your teeth. White Gold grillz are safe for you to wear, as long as they are made in solid gold and not gold plated.

In the video below, we are showing you how silver holds up to liquid acid compared to a 10K white gold grillz piece. The liquid acid acts as a catalyst to expedite the oxidation process. Over time, silver grillz will naturally turn foggy and dark brown. Whereas white gold grillz will hold their color and shine, keeping that “brand new” look.

Why Silver Grillz Are Bad For Your Teeth

Silver is a much less stable metal than gold. It is fragile, softer, and much less durable. Naturally, silver will oxidize from air and particles of bacteria from your skin, sweat and saliva. 

Silver is also an acidic metal and can damage the enamel on your teeth and cause gum disease. Gold, however, is one of the only known alloys that is safe for dental use. This is why dentists have predominantly used gold to cap teeth for decades.

Silver jewelry is known to turn blackish-brown when it oxidizes which can cause permanent damage to your teeth and gums. 

Gold plated grillz and jewelry are typically made out of silver then dipped in liquid gold. This gold coating will wear away over time, especially if it is used on grillz which are constantly being washed by your saliva.